Valentines Day is coming. I can’t help it, and I apologize to my single friends for perpetuating the Hallmark Holiday.
I come bearing Valentines Day gifts of a New Wave flavor. One of our very favorite New Wave websites (and books if you’ve not read it yet), Mad World, does “mix tapes”, and this, my friends, is their mixtape for Valentines Day, the Ultimate New Wave Valentine Day Mixtape…filled with delightful tunes that we all know and love. As one should expect, there is an “A” side and “B” side to this mixtape. The A side is all about “Anti-Love” and the B sides are billed as “gut-wrenching weepies”.
Side A: Anti-love songs
- “Love Song,” Simple Minds
- “Love Song,” The Damned
- “Love Part 1 (Poem),” Dexys Midnight Runners
- “When Love Breaks Down,” Prefab Sprout
- “The Other End of the Telescope,” Til Tuesday
- “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me,” The Smiths
- “Love Will Tear Us Apart,” Joy Division
- “A Promise,” Echo and the Bunnymen
- “Never Say Never,” Romeo Void
side b: The weepies
- “Stripped,” Depeche Mode
- “Home and Dry,” Pet Shop Boys
- “Wishing (If I had A Photograph of You),” A Flock Of Seagulls
- “Wonderful,” Adam Ant
- “Save A Prayer,” Duran Duran
- “Just Like Gold,” Aztec Camera
- “Lets Get Together Again,” Human League
- “I’m In Love With A German Film Star,” The Passions
- “Goodbye Joe,” Tracey Thorn
- “(I Love You) When You Sleep”, Tracie
Go on over to Mad World and check out the mixtape because they’ve compiled the videos and even a commentary on the chosen songs…then sit back, grab a libation and enjoy the music whether you’re single or not…and Happy Valentines Day!